Wednesday, August 27, 2008

I thought it was a good idea, but...


So, my boys went to school this morning and I decided to do their laundry while they were gone. In my efforts to be a "good mom" I decided it was definately time to wash their blankets, since they looked/smelled pretty dirty. After I picked up Gabe from Kindergarten I decided to throw in the 2nd load and this was the one with the favorite blanket included in it... I think you can all see where I am going with this. I put Haleigh down for a nap and we had some lunch. Then Gabe happily played with some legos while I was cleaning the kitchen. 5 minutes later he comes and asks where his blanket is. Great! I just had a feeling as soon as I thought of putting it in the wash that he would want it. Should've listened to myself - or was that a prompting? So, I proceed to tell him that I am washing it and that it should be almost done. He had a melt down. (must've been worn out from school) I thought he might be a little upset, but I wasn't prepared for what followed. He ran down to the washer and I came to see how much time was left. Of course it was still about 25 minutes! So, I told him to come up and snuggle on my bed in my blanket until his was done. This usually works, not today. He sat down by the washer for the next 10 minutes crying and pleading for it to be finished. Me, being the sensitive mom that I am, got my camera out and had to snap a pic to capture the moment - it was priceless! He literally was talking/sobbing about how he didn't care if his blanket was dirty and that he still wanted it anyway. It tore at my heart strings. So, I went down and he has a pair of pj's clutched in his hands, that I was also planning to wash, and I ask if he wants to wear them. He sadly looks up a shakes his head yes, so I let him put them on. Then I held his hand and coaxed him to my room to watch TV until the drama of the wash ended. So, now he is up there eating marshmellows, in his pj's at 2:30 in the afternoon, waiting for his "gick" - it what he calls his favorite blanket - to finish drying... and I am at my computer blogging of his misery. It is only because it was precious that I had to add this. I did the black and white photo for effect! :) So, ladies/moms - wash favorites at night when they are sleeping! Or make it your first load, not your second. I'm sure you all have enough common sense for me to be telling you this though!

3 comments:

Lady Bills said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! holy cow his FACE is PRICELESS!!!!!!!

gabe is going to grow up to be a sensitive guitar player and write a song about one day he lost his "love" to a dryer!!!

M+J=K3+E said...

Amy-
This is Cass's friend (I borrowed your veil for my wedding.) Anyways, I check your blog from time to time. Congrats and good luck with your baby. Super cute kids. I had that same problem with the blanket just this weekend :)

My Life as a Domestic Goddess said...

That is so funny! The same thing has happened to me a few times. I always have that same feeling as I am putting it in the wash. And of course it never fails they always want it or need it and it has only been through the wash cycle!!! So I will be the first to admit their blankets and stuffed dogs are not the cleanest! Since wash days are so far and few between for these precious things!