Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Pony Express Days Parade?


Tyler liked the army guys and the guns.


Gabe just got some candy - Max just liked being outside.


Characters are always fun - Haleigh liked the bagpipers.


Tyler, "are we done yet?" - Hooray I got candy!


Cosmo showed up :) - Just hanging around


Max, just happy to be alive - Haleigh and Cadence spotting the parade coming our way, finally!




The question I am still asking myself... was it really worth the wait? For the kids, probably. For all the rest of us - nope. We waited for about 1 1/2 hours for the parade to reach us, then we watched for another 1 1/2, and it wasn't all that great. :( Maybe if we hadn't waited before it started it would've felt more worth it. I think I should put in a complaint. My kids were actually really good - considering. They did get candy, which is essentially what made it worth it for them. We had a couple of cool floats, and some characters, but nothing to get too excited about. However, when it was over Haleigh exclaimed, in her not so quiet voice, "Mom, that was the best parade ever!" This was her first parade, but she still thought it was the best. The boys weren't so exuberant. They were just happy they got something out of it. (candy, toothbrush, candy...) We sat by the Cannon and the Reyes families, so that totally made Haleigh's day, since she adores Cadence and Isabela. They were passing the time "whistling" and stepping into the street to see if it was coming yet - which you will see from the pictures. There was also a helicopter giving rides and the girls would all look up and point and my boys got annoyed by this after the third time of Haleigh saying, "There's another helicopter!" (she wouldn't listen to their pleas about the fact that is was indeed the SAME helicopter) Later that night we let the kids, "stay up" to watch fireworks. Unfortunately they didn't even start until after 11:00 and Haleigh was the only one half awake to see them. Even I dozed on and off. Ah well. If someone from the Pony Express Days committee is reading this, you may want to do some things differently next year. At least the kids don't mind the lameness, for now. :) At least I have my pictures and my memories. (even if some are of us all waiting, and waiting, and waiting)

2 comments:

Tarina said...

Wow, can I ever relate to the waiting part. We go to the pioneer day parade on the 24th ever year and it's the same way. Wait 1 1/2 hours then watch forever. I told my mom although it's been tradition for 67 some odd years it's okay to break it this year :) Hee Hee

Gentrey said...

So I guess I shouldn't be sad that we missed it. How was the rest of Pony Express Days?